Throughout 2018, we worked to empower community health advocates and leaders within Imperial County.
This process took place in three phases:
Training Resident Leaders (May 2018 - July 2018) - Application Period Closed
- Goals: (1) Strengthen leadership and communication skills of residents that want to impact the health of Imperial County residents. (2) Connect resident leaders into a local network that is forming to improve health.
- Target Population: Community residents that have a genuine interest in the health of the community and/or the healthcare system. All residents are encouraged to apply. No training or work experience in the healthcare field is required.
Training Stakeholder Leaders (July 2018 - October 2018) - Application Period Closed
- Goal: Strengthen leadership and community engagement skills of individuals from stakeholder organizations that work to improve the health of residents and/or the healthcare system.
- Target Population: Individuals employed with local healthcare, social service, and community organizations.
Health Summit: Convening and Aligning Leaders (November 2018)
- Goal: Strengthen the network of communication and engagement around health between community resident leaders and stakeholder leaders.
- Target Population: The two trained groups (resident leaders and stakeholder leaders).
Continue reading below for more information about the training phases and how you can apply.
Training Resident Leaders
DO YOU CARE DEEPLY ABOUT THE HEALTH OF YOUR COMMUNITY?
DO YOU WANT TO DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT?
We are looking for residents from across Imperial County to participate in the Valley's first-ever joint community/stakeholder Health Leadership and Communications Training. The training will hone and develop residents' decision-making, presentation, and messaging skills so that they can be spokespeople and advocate for health issues that are important to them and their communities. As a result of the training, residents will be able to engage with their community, including local government, and be change agents to address health improvements in Imperial County.
The training will take place from May to early July, after which graduates will have the opportunity to fill volunteer positions as community representatives within local committees and workgroups to immediately use what they have learned. Graduates will also participate in an Imperial County Health Summit that will include representatives from local health, social service, and community organizations.
Click here to find the full description of this training and the training application. The application period was open from February 15, 2018, until 11:59 PM on March 19, 2018. Sign up for Health Leadership & Communications Training news e-notifications to stay informed about future opportunities to be involved.
Training Stakeholder Leaders
DO YOU CURRENTLY WORK IN A HEALTH OR SOCIAL SERVICE ORGANIZATION?
DO YOU WANT TO IMPROVE YOUR ABILITY TO ENGAGE AND MOBILIZE THE COMMUNITY?
We are currently looking for representatives from agencies that participate in the Imperial County Community Health Improvement Plan (CHIP) partnership, the Public Health Department, and the Local Health Authority to participate in Phase 2 of the community's first-ever joint community/stakeholder Health Leadership and Communications Training. Similar to the Resident Leaders training above, this training will hone and develop employees' decision-making, presentation, and messaging skills so that they can work more effectively with residents and motivate health improvements within the community. As a result of the training, trainees will be able to engage with the community, including local government, and be change agents to address health improvements in Imperial County.
The training will take place from July through October. Trainees will also participate in an Imperial County Health Summit that will include graduates from the Resident Leaders Training.
Click here for the full description of this training and for more information about how to get involved. The application/nomination period for the Stakeholder Leaders Training is now over. Sign up for Health Leadership & Communications Training news e-notifications to stay informed about future opportunities to be involved.
Health Summit: Convening and aligning leaders
The purpose of the Health Summit is to bring together the two groups of trained individuals to begin the development of a new and powerful advocacy team for Imperial Valley. This summit will occur in November 2018.